skywasp

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 04:32 PM

Since I haven't really been on much in the last week, I only really just saw this but either way good luck on it. This thing is going to be soooooo big when it's done. When I said I might have a go at it, I certainly wasn't going to try and make it this big but if you think you can, I'm totally not stopping you. I do think the entry into the helix needs to be smoother still. It looks there are sharp spots at the top and the bottom of it. But I also like how it doesn't seem to shake much at all besides the probably quite heavy trains. A pretty decent start I'd say and I'm glad to hear it definitely won't be cancelled.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#22 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Mini verbal update. School has been really busy lately, so I still haven't built anything besides minor modifications here and there. New sets are coming in, though. It looks like I finally have a weekend with little work to do, so I expect to make the keyholes by sunday. Question... when I was sorting my new pieces, I found some strange golden halfmoons and rods. Where do they come from, or could they be rare?

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#23 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:15 AM

wow a gate keeper recreation would be kick tail if you finished! So far though it seems that you got a pretty decent start which is great since it`s so big.
I also thing is great that your building backwards , so that way you will know how much speed you have , and to make sure you get a good height.
Only complaint is that theres a straight spot after the mcbr coming up to that helix but that it everything else is good to go!

#24 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:21 PM

^Thanks for repeating everything everyone just said, crazyracer. Very original.

ANYWAY! Sorry I haven't been updating you guys, progress has been slow but it's comin' along! I finally have multiple things done that are worth an update. First things first: in order to actually fit the coaster in my basement, we moved over the pool table and I split the coaster in two, in order to drag them to a new position. What you see here is not the final orientation, obviously. Try to look at the overview pictures below to see what I'm talking about here.... The MCBR-keyhole section that you see is almost in the right place, but will be moved back a bit and rotated a few degrees to the right. The helix-brake run section is obviously not in place, and my parents have agreed to allow me to move that green chair/sofa so that I can fit it along with the lift hill, which will literally be a couple of inches from the ceiling. It'll be close, but looks like it'll be ok.
Assisted by the judgement of Trevor (Coastergeek987) and Maarten (maarten12), I have built the entrance to the MCBR. It's very weird in that it looks to be the perfect shape and smoothness at some angles, and just the opposite at others, but tell me what you think.
Oh, and there's one other not-so-minor thing...I built the keyholes! Originally I had said I would build them with my VV pieces, but I quickly discovered that there was only enough for one tower, and I stupidly did not stop to think that a micro structure that high would not be able to safely support two lines of SS track. Instead, I used my standard color, standard size pieces which I never use anyway, and they definitely did the trick. I have yet to build the roof of the entrance between them, but I do aim to do so. After I have track set up all through there and move on to the giant corkscrew, I will definitely cover them with printer paper to give them a nice, clean, keyhole-looking appearance instead of this ugly mess of colors. Yes, I did run out of reds and oranges while building the second one, but that's ok because I wouldn't have used them anywhere else. Enough of my jibberjabber.... holy crap when did paragraphs happen..... anyway, observe and judge!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Weird-angle action shot. I guess.
Posted Image

I built simple but functional spines for the MCBR and brake run. Take a look!
Posted Image

Posted Image

¡Comentario por favor! Oh sorry Elijah, you don't understand that. It means comment please. :P haha

Edited by amagzi24, 22 May 2013 - 07:06 PM.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

#25 TheCodeMaster

TheCodeMaster

Resident Nolimits 2 Expert

• 761 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Wow. That's Awesome!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[18-07, 09:16] SCM: I only see 14 inversions. There's supposed to be 14 inversions.

STEEL VENOM - DRAGON - JAWHARP - ARMAGEDDON - ICE - CEREBUS - DIABLO - STEEL VENOM - THE REVENGE - CLIFFHANGER - FALCON - SMILER - ALTON TOWERS

Construction zone:

None

#26 Maxlaam

Maxlaam

Tracing Tyrant's Steps

• 8116 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:02 PM

Looking amazing so far, my only concern is the long pieces of track without supports. I understand you want to replicate the supports as much as possible, but flex in the track will be an issue. Beef up the strengtheners in your valley and it should give you some speed conservation in return.

SSCoasters Administrator
Read The Forum Rules(smart)

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#27 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:29 PM

There are a lot of places on your base that you could easily take off to conserve pieces. And I know you're going to need all the pieces you can get for this build. I agree with Maxlaam, support your pullouts more too save speed too!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#28 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:40 PM

¡Comentario por favor! Oh sorry Elijah, you don't understand that. It means comment please. :P haha

Lol, thanks.

Just support the pullouts as it saves a lot of speed; you're gonna need speed to finish this coaster! :P
Everything else is looking awesome though. How tall do you think the lift will be with the elements this large?

Posted Image

#29 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1153 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Dang this looks awesome so at just fix the pullout a like they said to save the speed on This coaster a lot and how tall are the key holes anyway and will the be that height for now, for Shure? Keep it up dude and build the zero g element next to the keyhole element too build the enterane to the park with an led screen and everything jk ha ha and the parking lot too!

#30 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:41 PM

Wow. That's Awesome!

Thank you!

Looking amazing so far, my only concern is the long pieces of track without supports. I understand you want to replicate the supports as much as possible, but flex in the track will be an issue. Beef up the strengtheners in your valley and it should give you some speed conservation in return.

Yes, it is definitely a problem. Surprisingly at this point in the layout, this is one of the largest pullouts of the ride, so there are fewer supports. I added tons of strengthening last night, and the thing looks like a monster. It bends just a little, but not too much.

There are a lot of places on your base that you could easily take off to conserve pieces. And I know you're going to need all the pieces you can get for this build. I agree with Maxlaam, support your pullouts more too save speed too!

Could you point out what parts of the base you're talking about? All of the protruding areas of the base are there to provide all-around support for each footer.

Lol, thanks.

Just support the pullouts as it saves a lot of speed; you're gonna need speed to finish this coaster! :P
Everything else is looking awesome though. How tall do you think the lift will be with the elements this large?

Thanks! My guess is that the cars will scrape the ceiling, so maybe 10 ft, but it could end up being 12 feet. Taller than Koloss, I would imagine.

Dang this looks awesome so at just fix the pullout a like they said to save the speed on This coaster a lot and how tall are the key holes anyway and will the be that height for now, for Shure? Keep it up dude and build the zero g element next to the keyhole element too build the enterane to the park with an led screen and everything jk ha ha and the parking lot too!

The keyholes are about 5' to the top, 5'3" at the antennae, about as tall as me (yeah, I'm short for 15 years). I do plan on building the entrance structure between the keyholes, but none of the plaza.

Thanks for the comments guys! It was definitely evident that the keyhole exit was begging for more strength, and that's exactly what it got. Tons of support underneath, shaking is minimal, compared to before when the whole section between the rectangle support and the keyhole would bend down about a foot! I made the twist, which also causes some helpful tension on the exit. The twist its self I would say looks fairly good, but the part at the end looks to be kind of sharp. I can't decide if I'm just fooling myself or not, tell me what it looks like to you. On the far end, I have built the one tall tube holding it up, but I didn't get the chance to make the two supports connecting it to the keyhole because we had to drive up to New Jersey this morning, and I'll be gone 'till Monday. (Dorney Park, WHOO, never been!) Feast your eyes, and drop a comment if you please!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

And a video :)

Whaddaya think?

#31 timtimlaz

timtimlaz

Please call me Tim....

• 1516 posts

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:08 PM

Very good! I like the keyholes a lot! Are you going to do anything else to them? Now onto the weird diveloop thingy. I have a picture of the pullout and pullin that may help you:
Posted Image
Keep up the amazing work! (thumbsup)

#32 Jogumpie

Jogumpie

Living through the great Gump hiatus...

• 13587 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:05 AM

You have a transition from grey rods to flexi rods (or vice versa). This causes a sudden jolt in the twist. There are several ways to fix this. It is up to you to find out. ;)

SSCoasters Administrator
The SSCoasters Forum Rules
DD_signature.jpg
YoutubeButton.pngFacebookButton.png

#33 LaMbChOpZ

LaMbChOpZ

Lead Particle Physicist and Musical Orchestrator

• 2812 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:00 AM

The transitions Jochem mentioned above are indeed a significant problem. If you can make the transition smoother and arch the apex of the zero-g-roll more, it will be better for your speed and will look more like the real ride.

Member of a few physics experiments; Orchestrator and/or Copyist for a few musicals.

#34 mitch

mitch

i hate hybrid coasters

• 113 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

so far so good, but how shaky is it

#35 gummy

gummy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:34 AM

Looks great! I love how the inversions are exactly like they are on the ride.

Edited by gummy, 09 June 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#36 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:49 AM

Very good! I like the keyholes a lot! Are you going to do anything else to them? Now onto the weird diveloop thingy. I have a picture of the pullout and pullin that may help you:

Keep up the amazing work! (thumbsup)

I plan on probably covering them with paper after I finish the track going through there in order to give it a nice, clean look. And thanks for the picture, it helped a lot!

You have a transition from grey rods to flexi rods (or vice versa). This causes a sudden jolt in the twist. There are several ways to fix this. It is up to you to find out. ;)

I got mad at first because of the suspense, but I think I figured it out. ;)

The transitions Jochem mentioned above are indeed a significant problem. If you can make the transition smoother and arch the apex of the zero-g-roll more, it will be better for your speed and will look more like the real ride.

I arched it a little bit, but remember that this is the second one, not the main one, and it actually is close to flat on the real ride. That's because I don't think they wanted very much speed change during the twist. Still, I'll take another look at it. :)

so far so good, but how shaky is it

Depends where you're talking about, but shaking has actually been reduced to a good minimum.

Looks great! I love how the inversions are exactly like they are on the ride.

Please don't bump threads, this hasn't been updated for two weeks. Thank you though! I try my best :)

In light of that, sorry again for the slow updates guys! I went ahead and switched 85% of the flexis in the twist to greys. I didn't think they would be able to bend like that at first, but they did! Now it looks a lot smoother. The start of the twist now is still kind of bumpy (great first the end, now this??) I also made three more supports along with the entrance to the twist. Are they the supports I would have chosen to make myself? Probably not, but they look like the real ride, and that's what matters to me! Have a look!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Questions? Comments? Concerns? :)

#37 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:54 AM

Twist looks much better, though it still needs some work. Also, it seems as if you're running out of space...

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#38 CW5X

CW5X

Wha?

• 3579 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 08:47 AM

Better than it was but the twist needs to be consistent and smooth right the way through. Right now it's a bit jerky. Also the heart lining needs a bit of work.

Silverstar Nemesis Poseidon Air Saw The Swarm Nemesis Inferno Colossus ​RageThe Smiler Oblivion Shockwave GeForce Apocalypse Detonator Kumali Mumbo Jumbo Atlantica Supersplash Velocity Blue Fire Megacoaster Pepsi Max Big One Wodan

See No Limits and K'nex here

If only I had more space/pieces. Delete as appropriate

Tyndrum

#39 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 08:06 AM

I was running out of space, but I slid it back a bit. I agree that the twist is very imperfect, but I am constantly adjusting it so eventually, I'll hit gold. As of now, I have built the whole, terrible, flat entrance to the twist, all the way toward the ground. Luckily school ended yesterday, so I'll have some more time. My crazy goal: finish the dive loop today before I leave later tonight on our park trip (kennywood, KI, CP). My other goal: grab enough footage from the three parks to make a music video. Who thinks I should?

#40 -=Zach=-

-=Zach=-

How do I tubes?

• 1550 posts

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:09 PM

Like you said about adjusting the coaster. Just keep tweaking until you get it perfect. As for the parks, When are you coming to KI? Because I live like 10 mins from there.

Posted Image

Maverick|MF|Diamondback|Hulk|Banshee|Raptor|The Bat|Mean Streak|The Beast|DD Ice

Diamondback count: 586 Banshee count: 197

[23:45:59] Im gonna take a selfie with you tomorrow and show my mom that you are not a rapist

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skywasp