skywasp

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:05 AM

Hello folks! Yes, this is probably a very startling project. Sometime in the middle of building Shadow Force, I had made up my mind that a big recreation would come next. I have been very excited about Cedar Point's new addition, and thought it made perfect sense to combine the two interests! I think that a successful completion of this coaster may result in it being a legendary build. I have been consulting with several other members for the past month or two about it, and we've reached a few definite conclusions. This is going to have to be monstrous for it to work. Therefore, I will have to at least double my current piece count (6SS, 1RR, 1 or 2 decent sized sets of standard color pieces). It will be a long and bumpy road to get this done. Unfortunately, my summer is very busy (with fun stuff, or course :D), so I don't expect to be done until Autumn. In order to ensure that it will be able to make each element, I will be building backwards. We think it'll be between 8 and 10 ft tall. (a little short, eh?) I am going to be very patient with this ride and think through issues very carefully. I swear, I promise, I whatever, that... mark my words, THIS PROJECT WILL NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, BE CANCELLED. Right now, I have the transfer track all the way through 2/3 of the MCBR. I spent a whole week customizing my train to be true to the ride. I'm still debating whether I will make a second one with the trains that I will eventually get. It was a long and annoying process, but two trains would be awesome. I'm still not sure yet.

Without farther ado, here she is!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The transfer track. I was at first going to put it on wheels, but those would get stuck and scraped against the sides too tightly. I just put halfmoons on and connected them, and it works great. I probably will make an attempt to automate it at the end, but it will remain for now. It slides nicely!
I've spent so much time making the track connections even, but it's still not perfect.

Posted Image[/URL]

Posted Image

Posted Image

Brake run. I'm constantly making changes to make it straighter. The end of it by the transfer keeps sagging, and a support might look weird there. ugh, it's so annoying.
Posted Image

Ending transition. probably needs a little more banking.
Posted Image

Posted Image

The spiral/helix. Be strict! There are a lot of issues here.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The MCBR. I have 2 out of 3 supports in there.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Overview pics
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

NEXT: I am thinking about making the keyholes with my VV pieces, in order to save my standard.

Oh yea, I bought an 720p 808 mini camera and it works great!

So yeah, it's gonna be a big one! Please say anything you think of, I will try to make this as perfect as possible! Drop a comment, por favor!

Edited by amagzi24, 02 October 2013 - 08:02 PM.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#2 DDRman732865

DDRman732865

Going Back for Master's for some reason

• 5251 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:13 AM

I'd add spines on the straight sections. Also, check the shaping on the helix, there are plenty of inconsistencies.

#3 Jumpge

Jumpge

Stopping by every now and then!

• 3930 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:51 AM

Completely agree with DDRMan, but this is awesome so far!
Nice to see you striving to do a recreation which will be very tough to pull off!

Posted Image

#4 SCM

SCM

Omnipotent Lucid Dreamer

• 2039 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

You are going to have enough pieces for this, right? A good way to git rid of those inconsistencies on the helix would be to replace the flexis with grey rods. The grey rods should automatically take out most sharp spots. The transition also seems a bit sharp. I really like the attention to detail here, that makes the ride look even cooler! :) (Going to add stairs to the MCBR?) I hope you can pull this off, if you do, this will be remembered forever. I'll be watching this...

Edited by SCM, 28 April 2013 - 11:55 AM.

I'm not done building yet. 

Glimpses

Speed Coaster Master

#5 rollercoasterfanatic919

rollercoasterfanatic919

Switch 360!

• 3357 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I have to say, the POV looks really cool from the winged seat. It's good you're so determined to complete it, that's key to finishing difficult builds like this. Overall it's looking pretty nice, but just make sure all your shaping is fluid and the banking is close to perfect. I'll be following this for sure! :D

RCFSIG.png

FF.png

MF | Toro | TTD | Maverick | Ka | Griffon | Nitro | Storm Runner | Skyrush | Phoenix

Coaster Count: 73 | YouTube Channel

#6 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 326 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:10 PM

dang, you just took my summer project... I'll probably do it anyway, and we can compare

There's a bit of a strait spot at on the crest of the hill you have built btw
Looks great otherwise

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#7 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 12:33 PM

i got it right on youtube yaaaaaay. but i also think a spine would be a good idea for the mcbr and breakrun

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

#8 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:05 PM

And with a spine on the break run you can also add a chain and gain some more height. Apart from what the others have mentioned, it looks good! Good luck on findin more pieces!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#9 Micro Mike 21

Micro Mike 21

U know......

• 604 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

For only the ride just starting, thats already a lot of height, I expect a really tall lift hill! But overall, it looks pretty good! There are some sharp spots in the helix that could be smoothened out, but so far everything else is great!

#10 maarten12

maarten12

Medium-Gump

• 2917 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 01:41 PM

Hmm looks good, but how do these winged seats stay in place? It seems they can just rotate freely. Also, in the first video you gave the train a quite hard push, and then it just makes it over the last hill. You might want the train be able to make it without giving it that push :).

Posted Image

#11 Cardsandcoasters

Cardsandcoasters

Frission Is Here

• 1537 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:11 PM

The trains look super cool! The highest point in the spiral/helix looks really sharp to me. And is it possible to lower the station and everything over all? Because the MCBR is at a really high height, it might be hard to keep up that much speed.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks Rollerdude!

#12 crazyracer

crazyracer

Architect

• 550 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

trains look really cool mcbr and hill is good only thing is definitely fix that turn because theres way to many srtaight spots but an easy fix other than that this should be one of the coolest recreations good luck with having enough pieces
and hope you can finish it;)

#13 IOAgeek

IOAgeek

Excited for Iron Gwazi!

• 1153 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:29 PM

Ya pretty much do what the other members say and smooth out the helix with more connections so it can be stronger and I love those good trains too! Warning your going to need tons and tons of gray I'm not kidding prepare yourself really u can always us green rods if u run out too good luck on this awesome recreation dude!

#14 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:50 AM

Double your piece count? I'd say make it 6x your pieces now;) Just make sure that all your supports are nice and sturdy! Good luck!

#15 amagzi24

amagzi24

Time-lacking Peasant

• 439 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:37 PM

Holy shit guys! I expected a good deal of comments, but not this much! Thank you so much! I'll try to answer each point that everyone made, if I can. Again, thanks!

[quote name='DDRman732865']I'd add spines on the straight sections. Also, check the shaping on the helix, there are plenty of inconsistencies.[/QUOTE]
You know what, I was so obsessed with keeping it straight, I completely forgot about spines, as weird as that seems. I was thinking solely about shaping. I haven't gotten a chance to add a spine yet, but I most definitely will. The helix... yeah there were definitely a lot of problems there. Should be fixed up for the most part now!

[quote name='Jumpge']Completely agree with DDRMan, but this is awesome so far!
Nice to see you striving to do a recreation which will be very tough to pull off![/QUOTE]
Thanks! This will undoubtedly be unbelievably hard to complete, but I'm willing to do what it takes.

[quote name='SCM']You are going to have enough pieces for this, right? A good way to git rid of those inconsistencies on the helix would be to replace the flexis with grey rods. The grey rods should automatically take out most sharp spots. The transition also seems a bit sharp. I really like the attention to detail here, that makes the ride look even cooler! :) (Going to add stairs to the MCBR?) I hope you can pull this off, if you do, this will be remembered forever. I'll be watching this...[/QUOTE]
As of now, I probably have enough to do the dive loop and both keyholes, maybe more. It's hard to estimate exactly. I am constantly buying more, though. Two more SS should arrive next week! I was debating over whether the helix was wide enough to use grays, but I decided to switch it over. It worked great! And what transition specifically? Being the scale that it is, I think it will be legendary by default if it works! As for stairs...I don't plan on adding any sort of catwalks anywhere until the ride is done, then I will know what pieces I can work with. Bear with me!

[quote name='rollercoasterfanatic919']I have to say, the POV looks really cool from the winged seat. It's good you're so determined to complete it, that's key to finishing difficult builds like this. Overall it's looking pretty nice, but just make sure all your shaping is fluid and the banking is close to perfect. I'll be following this for sure! :D[/QUOTE]
Agreed, the POV is cool. I wish the frame rate was higher though, then I could slow it down and it would actually be viewable. I've sort of trained myself to be as patient with this as possible...and I spend 60% of my building time just on shaping. With tubes, it's definitely a lot harder, so I have to spend more time looking at it.. Anyway, stay tuned!

[quote name='CCreator12']dang, you just took my summer project... I'll probably do it anyway, and we can compare
There's a bit of a strait spot at on the crest of the hill you have built btw
Looks great otherwise[/QUOTE]
Sorry, I didn't know! Either way...build-off? ;) I'm still working on that hill, it wants to pull its self backwards. I'll get it eventually.

[quote name='Witting']i got it right on youtube yaaaaaay. but i also think a spine would be a good idea for the mcbr and breakrun[/QUOTE]
Yep, you did! Spines will come soon. :)

[quote name='Coastergeek987']And with a spine on the break run you can also add a chain and gain some more height. Apart from what the others have mentioned, it looks good! Good luck on findin more pieces![/QUOTE]
I probably won't have a chain, but I'll have a friction brake around the middle and drive wheels to push it out. That might not work though, so don't completely rule out a chain. Oh believe me, I have about 5 items on my watch list. ;)

[quote name='Micro Mike 21']For only the ride just starting, thats already a lot of height, I expect a really tall lift hill! But overall, it looks pretty good! There are some sharp spots in the helix that could be smoothened out, but so far everything else is great![/QUOTE]
I wish I could make it shorter, but the supports might not look right otherwise. (I want to mimic them as much as I can). I think I got basically everything on the helix, but I probably missed a few things.

[quote name='maarten12']Hmm looks good, but how do these winged seats stay in place? It seems they can just rotate freely. Also, in the first video you gave the train a quite hard push, and then it just makes it over the last hill. You might want the train be able to make it without giving it that push :).[/QUOTE]
The seats don't (didn't ;)) stay in place. I actually loosened up pretty fast on that push so it looks like I pushed harder than I did, but it was still too hard. Good news on that though, read down. :)

[quote name='Cardsandcoasters']The trains look super cool! The highest point in the spiral/helix looks really sharp to me. And is it possible to lower the station and everything over all? Because the MCBR is at a really high height, it might be hard to keep up that much speed.[/QUOTE]
Actually, if you look at the animation, the top is supposed to have a noticeable change in angle. Mine was still a little too sharp, but I fixed it more or less. Unfortunately I won't be able to at this point. the tubes are already set where they are. The height is actually still to scale. It's gonna be a hell of a tall ride.

[quote name='crazyracer']trains look really cool mcbr and hill is good only thing is definitely fix that turn because theres way to many srtaight spots but an easy fix other than that this should be one of the coolest recreations good luck with having enough pieces
and hope you can finish it;)[/QUOTE]
Thanks, I hope it will be! Straight spots should be gone, but you never know what's hiding.

[quote name='IOAgeek']Ya pretty much do what the other members say and smooth out the helix with more connections so it can be stronger and I love those good trains too! Warning your going to need tons and tons of gray I'm not kidding prepare yourself really u can always us green rods if u run out too good luck on this awesome recreation dude![/QUOTE]
Yeah, I'll probably end up buying separate lots of grey rods because I'm gonna need so many.

[quote name='soggyhotdoggg']Double your piece count? I'd say make it 6x your pieces now;) Just make sure that all your supports are nice and sturdy! Good luck![/QUOTE]
It won't be 6X. Don't be dramatic! It probably will be somewhat over double, but not 42 SS! (about) But yeah, I've made sure every support base is immovable so that they are as strong as can be. I had terrible bases in my previous coaster, but I actually have strong bases for each one now.

Alrighy, then! After reading the comments and dealing with some problems with them myself, I decided to make new wings. They aren't super pretty, but they serve their purpose, don't budge a millimeter, and actually look like seats. Tell me what you think of them!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I completely replaced most of the ride with greys, and it's SOOOO much smoother now. Here are a bunch of angles of the spiral, going around.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I realized I forgot to show you guys a good look at the shape of the drop of the MCBR. It's absolutely terrible, so judge judge judge!

Posted Image

After all of these modifications, the train successfully traverses the layout with about half of the force applied that it needed before. I just have to make sure I build the keyholes tall enough, and it should be good to go. I haven't built outward at all yet. I have been really busy with school so this is all I could get done. I did collapse the remains of my Vertical Vengeance, though. If you didn't see this before, I plan on using those pieces to build the keyholes, in order to save my standard pieces. Adios!

Edited by amagzi24, 01 May 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Fury325|MF|Maverick|Shambhala|TTD|El Toro|Diamondback|Griffon|Valravn|Boulder Dash|Leviathan 

Coaster Count: 215

#16 CCreator12

CCreator12

(CoasterCreator12)

• 326 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:58 PM

Looks good we'll see I just realized how much time I have now with school closing up.
I'll be a good month behind you though

Every post is a love letter to a forum once full of innovation

#17 Rollerfreak987

Rollerfreak987

definitely gone crazy

• 2448 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 07:40 PM

The helix looks and probably is a lot smoother! I'd still add a chain, because its going to be really hard to get that train up there!

1- Time Traveler 2- Magnum XL-200 3- The Voyage 4- Velocicoaster 5-Iron Gwazi 6- Phantom's Revenge 7- The Beast 8- The Legend 9- Tiested Timbers 10- Steel Vengeance 

Follow me on Instagram @coastergeek987
Credit Count: 305

#18 soggyhotdoggg

soggyhotdoggg

Architect

• 605 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 07:08 AM

This looks way better! My only question is if you have enough space for this?

#19 venomeater

venomeater

building...

• 139 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:40 PM

I like the new cars better! And nice job so far! Keep it up.

#20 Witting

Witting

Lead Engineer

• 1077 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:51 PM

i do see a huge straight spot in the helix try some hand shaping first if that doesn't fix it maybe change the tts's

Posted Image
^ thank you CCI

Inversion count: 110
http://www.coastercounter.com/witting

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skywasp